Dear St. Malachy Family,
With great joy, we welcome August – the last month of summer. We are excited around here because we are busy planning and preparing for the school year. This summer has been full of excitement and activity, reminding us of what makes our St. Malachy community so great.
We have much to celebrate!
- Springboard summer readers had a victorious end to the summer, making significant reading progress and earning lots of incentives such as free books, school supplies, and tablets! These students will start the school year as stronger readers than they were at the beginning of the summer, and many have told us they are enjoying reading more than ever before. Not many students can say that! We are so proud of their enthusiasm for reading and their hard work!
- Summer School Students in the Title One program also worked hard, learned a lot, and are starting the next school year stronger than they were in June. This is a perfect example of our St. Malachy students out-working the rest of the city! This is how we will accomplish big dreams!
- Other Families who were unable to utilize Springboard or Title One Summer School reached out to us about ways to help their students learn all summer. From reading together each night to setting aside learning time every day, the efforts of these families benefitted the students!
- OST camp is still in full swing, and will end August 12th. These students have been building community, friendships, and teamwork skills: important work that will benefit our school this year!
- Enrollment is growing, which is great news for us! Parents, families, and staff have been spreading the word about our expansion and helping people join the St. Malachy family! What we offer at St. Malachy is special, and we want to share that with as many families and students as possible. Big thanks to all of the parents and families who have referred people to us!
- Teachers are participating in all sorts of summer training, going to workshops, and reading books to learn more about teaching – from practices that are tried-and-true to the newest ideas in education. As always, they are committed to being their best and continually improving in order to support, teach, and drive our students to great accomplishments!
- Symphony in C students participated in a music-camp experience this summer, continuing to develop, through hard work and dedication, the gifts and talents God has blessed them with.
- What else? If your student did anything this summer that was St. Malachy Proud, let us know! We want to see and hear evidence of our students drawing inspiration from their faith and community; we want to see and hear evidence of our students being their best selves, continually improving, and encouraging others to be their best selves; we want to see and hear evidence of our students on the path to graduating college. Share your news with us so we can celebrate!
- School Supply Lists and Uniform information is on our website. stmalachyphila.org/. Under the For Parents tab, you can select Uniform and Dress Code Requirements to see pictures and information about the uniforms, and you can click 2016-2017 School Supply Lists to see the supply list for this year. If you have any trouble, give us a call!
- We’re Growing! Remember, we’re doubling our Kindergarten and First Grade classrooms by adding a second class in each of those grades, and we’re adding pre-K classes for three- and four-year olds! There are even spots left in some of our other grades. If you have a friend or family member looking for a great school, send them our way! Reach out to Nichole White at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Big thank you to all parents and families who gave feedback on our uniform choices for the 2017-2018 school year. We know that the uniform reflects our collective desire for our students to identify and represent themselves as a community of serious learners on the path to graduating college, members of a community striving to be their best selves, and persons of equality within the larger Christian community. Since you helped us make the decisions regarding the uniform, it will serve as another symbol of our working together and our deep belief that every student has a team of adults surrounding them with love and high expectations.
- St. Malachy Proud – Remember that every day, wherever you go, you are part of the St. Malachy family, and you are St. Malachy proud. Let our School Creed continue to inspire you this summer:
St. Malachy School Creed
I am St. Malachy.
I am inspired by my faith and community to be my true self,
to continually improve, and to encourage others to be their best selves.
I am on a path to graduating college.
I am St. Malachy Proud!
As always, we know that “together we are better.” If you have any questions, concerns, or ideas do not hesitate to contact us.
Stephen Janczewski (Mr. J.), Principal
Elizabeth Rafferty (Ms. Rafferty), Assistant Principal